Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Was That Really Necessary????


On Monday nights Chad and I play on a coed softball team. I absolutely love it and have never had really anything happen like it did this week. For the most part the games are fun and we just have a good time. Yes, we get competitive but we are never RUDE. Well, there is this one team that we have played over and over and each time we play them things tend to get more and more out of hand. Throughout this game their third baseman/shortstop continued to just throw the ball directly at my brother-in-law, trying to hit him. That was just the tip of the iceburg. Next, they threw a complain fest about us trying to have a pinch runner for one of our injured players (not a big deal), when we know full well they are playing with a 13 year old so they didn't forfeit. We didn't say anything because WE DON'T CARE, we just want to play. Well the game goes on, with small cheap shots being taken here and there (pushing people off the base, comments, etc). The last inning they had their last ups because we were ahead by 12 runs, which they weren't happy about (they are usually undefeated). One of our players had an injured hamstring and was limping, well this grown man, mind you, that plays for them comes out of their dug-out mimicking him limping. I looked at him and said "are you done?" in which he comments "yes (sarcastically)" then I ask him if he is proud of himself for acting so mature. From then on he was go at me on first base the rest of the inning. He would say comments about players on our team, how unsportsman-like we are, etc. I really couldn't believe it. I was surprised that I was keeping my cool with this idiot next to me. And all I would say were things like, "I teach 12 year olds who have more sportsmanship and maturity than you" and "I am out here to have fun" and "Bottom line I want my kids to be able to watch their mom and dad play and not have to see them act like this." He continued to tell me that I better shut my mouth and then would come up and scream in my ear as I was catching a ball to get an out. Then I hear from one of the moms (holding a newborn baby) that if that first baseman (me) doesn't shut her mouth she is going to get a ball in the face! WOW, never been threatened like that before. I had been complimenting them on some of their great hits throughout the game and yet I was having this come at me? Are you kidding?? I couldn't believe it! I was pretty shocked that for being a redhead and having the competitive nature that I do, that I stayed calm. For one, this is a Rec league and why waste energy on these people who I really don't care much for. Second, I never want to regret what I say or do on the field; I want to be an example for my kids and my students who actually come and watch good old Mrs. Pate play. I teach sportsmanship and will stop playing PE with my kids if they don't play with GREAT sportsmanship. Anyways, we ended up winning and they didn't even come out to shake hands at the end of the game. It was a mess and all I could think is was that really necessary. I sure hope they felt bad as they drove home and realized what jerks they were!

7 comments:

Grant and Alli said...

Shame on them! I'm glad I wasn't there to witness all of this mess. especially them chucking the ball at my HUSBAND! They should be thanful you didn't show them your guns or they would've went runnin..

heather said...

I can't believe that. I am surprised that Pate didn't go over and lay the dude out. You are a better person than I am. I would have gone off. I say screw em, karma will catch up with them.

Grant and Alli said...

Yo, Alli just told me about your post. Now you got me all fired up again. I say we go find these people and beat the crap out of them!!!! Then of course teach them sportsmanship as they leave to the hospital.

**Cunningham's** said...

Wow, I am proud of you but must say that I do miss softball and the competition. I LOVED the fights and commenting which is why it's probably a good thing I don't play anymore. :) You are so funny, I can just picture this all going down...

ellisboys said...

well that made for an exciting game, I say bring it on, if they are going to be punks call em on it. kind of an adrenaline rush though?!

Kelley Rae said...

I got an adrenaline rush just reading about it! Really I feel sorry for people who have nothing better in their life but a weekly softball game that should be all about fun like you said. Congrats on keeping your cool and next year join our league! :)

Shani said...

I totally wish that I had been there. On second thought, seeing my lack of self control at the last one, it was probably a good thing I didn't show. Motha Goose, I LIKE YOUR STYLE!